More and more owners of cottages and private houses decorate plots near the gazebo, lawns by the house, playgrounds and places to relax in the garden with a green lawn. Emerald green grass will decorate any area, give it a new style and retain its green color before the snow falls. To make the lawn beautiful, you need to choose a suitable lawn grass, plant it correctly and provide the lawn with proper care.
Which lawn is better
You can sow the lawn in the garden with herbs or special mixtures, which are sold in specialized stores. From decorative lawn grasses you can choose:
- Reigrass - a fast-growing cereal in the first year forms a beautiful lawn. With it, you can edit the lawns on which bald spots have formed. Reigrass clogs all the weeds, so it is widely used for planting between trees in the garden. Cereal poorly tolerates frosts below -12 degrees, because of which it can be planted only in southern areas with warm winters.
- Polevoshnaya shoot - an unpretentious plant of a beautiful green color grows rapidly, forms a dense coating and tolerates low mowing.
- Timothy grass meadow - stunted grass grows up to 30 cm and is characterized by a quick build-up of thick rosettes, resistance to trampling and cold winters. It does not possess great decorativeness, therefore it is used only in private garden plots. For parterre lawns timothy is not suitable.
- Fescue is an unpretentious drought-resistant and frost-resistant cereal up to 25 cm high. It grows quickly and well even on poor soils, therefore it is used to compile various lawn mixtures.
- Meadowgrass meadow - a stunted plant up to 20 cm tall has a powerful root system that quickly clogs weeds. The grass is quickly restored, not afraid of trampling and is heat resistant. During flowering, spikelets rise above the greenery, as a result of which the height of the plant reaches more than 60 cm. To make the lawn beautiful, meadow meadowgrass should be planted on humus-rich soil.
There are several varieties of lawns., each of which consists of mixtures of herbs and has its own purpose.
The Moorish lawn is a mixture of cereals and flowering plants that add color to the garden and create a summer setting. For its arrangement, the following types of herbs are used:
- red fescue;
- bluegrass meadow.
All these plants are resistant, are undemanding to soils and it is necessary to mow them only once in the fall so that they do not drift. During the season, plants require regular hydration, otherwise their flowering will be reduced.
The plants included in the mixture are characterized by increased resistance to trampling and are quickly restored. Due to this feature of grasses, a sports lawn is widely used in off-road areas. It is widely used for devicesand playgrounds and various places to relax.
The lawn mixture consists of the following herbs:
- Polevoshnaya shoot;
- red fescue;
- pasture ryegrass.
Grass for the English lawn is demanding to care for, grow only on fertile soils, like the sun and can not tolerate shading. You can’t walk on such a lawn. The noble, well-groomed and magnificent green carpet is created only for landscape decoration.
Herbal mixture for the English lawn consists of three types of herbs:
- field trees;
So that the English coating is not trampled and not compacted, but soft and elastic, it must be regularly watered, fertilized and maintained at a height of one and a half to two centimeters.
The most common type of lawn that can be seen in parks, squares, gardens and summer cottages. It may include various meadow herbs that gardeners use to decorate the lawns. The basis of the park mixtures are:
- sheep fescue;
- common bluegrass;
Such plants are characterized by unpretentiousness, shade tolerance, drought and frost resistance, so growing them on the site will not be difficult. To make the lawn look attractive, you just need to water it in a timely manner, mow and free from weeds about once a week. The park lawn is resistant to trampling and is suitable for decoration of recreation areas, territories near patios, pools, houses.
If you want to improve the garden, but there is no possibility to dig and level the soil, you can sow meadow grass among the trees:
- horned lamb;
For their planting, it is enough to loosen the upper layer of soil into which the seeds of unpretentious plants are sown. Mowing such a lawn is not necessary. Grasses grow densely, resulting in a beautiful lawn decorated with meadow herbs.
In large areas You can use a universal lawn by planting abrasion-resistant grass in rest areas, and delicate and beautiful plants for an English or Moorish lawn to decorate lawns.
Ways to create lawns
There are two ways to arrange lawns:
- Sowing season. This type of grass cover involves digging and leveling the soil into which the seeds of certain plants will need to be sown. In the process of leaving, cereals will need to be regularly sheared, watered and fed.
- Roll. Quite an expensive type of lawn, with which you can very quickly arrange the site. The basis of the rolls is clay soil, on which grasses with a good root system are already growing. High-quality turf does not have weeds and bald spots, has the same thickness along the entire length and is not infected with diseases and pests. The soil should be prepared for the roll on the site, after which the turf will be spread and the lawn will be ready.
How to plant a lawn - step by step instructions
Planting lawn grasses can be done at any time of the year, however, autumn sowing has several advantages:
- in autumn, one should not be distracted from the main work in the garden;
- the autumn sun is less active, and the humidity is increased, which is good for planting;
- seeds sown in November during the winter will be stratified, due to which the plants adapt to the conditions of the region;
- in spring, melting snow will moisten the crops, and the seeds will sprout well.
However, if you plant the seeds early, or November is warm, then the plants will begin to germinate and die when the temperature drops.
Choosing grass seeds or a suitable grass mixture, you can begin to prepare the soil, which is the basis of the lawn. It must be fertile and even.. On loamy and clay soils it is necessary to remove 15−20 cm of the upper layer and fill in fertile soil instead. Sowing seeds right away is not recommended. You should wait until the weeds begin to grow, and treat the area with herbicides or manually remove the weed. If the soil on the plot is nutritious, it must be dug up twice, choosing weeds. The loose soil from weeds can additionally be treated with herbicides.
The soil dug up and cleared of weed grass must be carefully leveled with a rake and compacted. Such work will remove the mounds and pits and make the lawn level.
You can compact the soil using a special skating rink, having bought it in a specialized store. You can make a skating rink with your own hands from improvised materials:
- Fill a gas bottle with water.
- Insert a rod through a metal or asbestos scrap of pipe, to the ends of which a rope is tied.
- Extend a level board over the surface of the plot.
A leveled allotment should be shed well and soil should be poured into areas where water accumulates. Otherwise, the grass will spit on them, and only moss will grow well.
After watering, the soil needs to be slightly loosened with a rake and fertilized. For this you can use granular mineral complex fertilizers for lawns, which simply scatter around the site.
Before sowing, the grassy lawn mixture should be thoroughly mixed and scattered evenly over the area, sowing every square meter of 100 g of seeds. It is not necessary to save planting material, otherwise places with bald spots can turn out. Thickly sown grass in a month and a half or two months will rise, grow up and form a thick green carpet.
The scattered seeds are pressed with a roller and watered with a hose and a fine spray. Watering simply with a hose or watering can will wash off the seeds that are distributed unevenly over the site. So that the birds do not glue the seeds, it is recommended to sprinkle them on top with sand or a soil mixture with a layer of three to five millimeters.
As soon as the grass grows to 20 cm, it should be mowed for the first time so that 5 cm long stems remain. In this case, they will begin to develop well and grow. Grass that has grown up to 12 cm is cut a second time already up to about 3.5 cm, thereby finalizing the lawn.
Planted lawn grasses must be properly looked after. If you abandon the lawn and not give it proper attention, you get an ugly area with bald spots and lushly tall plants.
In spring, young grass should be cleaned of fallen leaves and various debris using a rake. Small lawns can be easily “combed” with a garden rake, and on large areas it is convenient to use an electric or gasoline scarifier.
If bald spots have formed, then empty areas are planted with grass, mixing seeds with soil or sand before sowing. When the lawn grows to 10 cm, it is mowed to a height of 5 cm. To do this, use a lawn mower, and under trees or other hard-to-reach areas it is recommended to work with a trimmer.
In summer, herbs are fed with nitrogen fertilizers, which contribute to the growth of greenery. Granules are evenly scattered around the site, for which you can use a plastic seeder.
If the grasses are not planted very tightly, weeds can grow between them, which must be removed promptly by hand or with a small spatula.
Timely watering is of great importance for lawns, without which the grass will begin to dry and the lawn will become deplorable. In dry and hot weather, lawns are watered every three days, preferably in the morning. In the evening, the site should be watered until 18:00, so that the lawn dries out by night. Otherwise, fungi can form on it and moss grow.
Small lawns can be watered with a watering can or hose with a spray. You can use a special device - a sprinkler, which will evenly distribute water on the lawn. In autumn, lawn grass can not be watered at all.
If, after heavy rains or heavy irrigation, water stagnates on the lawn, aeration is necessary. To do this, you can use a pitchfork or a homemade skating rink with spikes that will pierce the ground. As a result of such work, oxygen will flow through the holes made to the roots of the plants, so aeration is carried out every autumn.
Which lawn is best suited for the site, each owner of the cottage or private home should choose for himself. In order for the lawn to please with its greenery and neat appearance, lawn grasses should be planted correctly and carefully looked after the lawn.