Residents of the Far East can perfectly cook fresh bracken fern at home, since dishes with it are considered traditional. This plant is delicious, there are many delicious recipes. According to consumers, the fried shoots resemble mushrooms. The rules for cooking grass dishes will be presented in the article.
What can be cooked from fresh bracken fern
Fern is an amazing plant from which you can prepare a huge number of different dishes. Of course, not every person may like them, so for the first time you need to use the minimum amount of products per sample.
From fresh bracken fern, you can prepare the following dishes:
- noodle soup;
- soup with potatoes and lard;
- stew with fern and meat;
- various roasts;
- filling for pies.
Advice! Dishes from bracken shoots taste like mushroom ones, which is why you can take any recipes with mushrooms as a basis for cooking. It turns out not only original, but also delicious.
How to cook bracken fern
For cooking, shoots of bracken and ostrich fern (ostrich operator) are used. The plant must be harvested in the month of May, until the leaves have unfolded. At a later date, the plant becomes inedible.
Attention! Young shoots are similar in shape to a snail.
Do not use the stems immediately after harvest. They should lie in a cool place for about 3 days. You can boil the shoots in salt water. These preparations will help prevent poisoning.
The bracken shoots contain useful substances, and, most importantly, the protein, which is characteristic of cereals, is easily and quickly absorbed by the human body.
General rules for preparing shoots
Before preparing various dishes, the shoots must be soaked for 24 hours in salted water to remove the bitterness. The fluid must be changed several times. Then quickly boil in boiling water, but not longer than 2-3 minutes.
There is another way of cooking: the shoots are placed in salted boiling water, boiled for 2 minutes, then the water is changed. The procedure is repeated 3 times.
Warning! It is forbidden to use raw bracken shoots, as they are poisonous without heat treatment.
How to cook fried bracken fern
Each housewife will have her own original recipes for cooking fried bracken fern. This option assumes the use of such products:
- 400 g fresh shoots;
- 2 tbsp. l. tomato paste;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 1-2 onion heads;
- vegetable oil;
- salt to taste.
- Soak raw materials for a day in salt water. Rinse the shoots in several waters before cooking.
- Then pour cold water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain the shoots through a colander and cool.
- While the main ingredient is cooling down, you need to cook the onions. Cut it in a convenient way: rings, half rings, cubes, as you like.
- Grease a frying pan with vegetable oil, put onions. Let it simmer at the lowest temperature until golden brown.
- Cut the cooled bracken shoots into pieces of at least 4-5 cm. It is not recommended to use smaller ones, as during cooking, instead of separate pieces, you will get porridge.
- Combine the shoots with the onions, continue to fry with constant stirring so that the contents do not burn.
- When the shoots are soft, add the tomato paste and fry in another skillet in a little oil.
- Put the tomato in the fern, stir, add salt to taste.
- Peel the garlic, cut into thin slices and add to the fried dish.
- Remove the pan after 2-3 minutes.
Advice! Fried bracken fern dishes can be served right away, but connoisseurs recommend letting them stand for a while.
Bracken fern fried with egg
This dish is used as an independent dish. To prepare a fern according to a Far Eastern recipe, you will need:
- young shoots - 750 g;
- onions - 2 heads;
- broth - 100 ml;
- sour cream - 150 ml;
- flour - 1 tsp;
- chicken egg - 3 pcs.;
- butter - 1-2 tbsp. l .;
- hot pepper and salt to taste.
- Chop the boiled bracken, add the onion and fry in oil until golden brown.
- Add flour, fry a little, then pour in broth while stirring.
- Continue simmering until the stems are tender.
- Add pepper, salt to taste and sour cream.
- While the fern is preparing, boil the eggs, put them in cold water. Then peel, cut into circles and put them on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover the eggs with fried shoots and you can treat homemade ones.
Cooking fried bracken fern with potatoes
Many have tried potatoes with fried mushrooms. Since bracken has a mushroom flavor, you can prepare a delicious, hearty dinner dish for the whole family.
- 250-300 g of fern;
- 500 g potatoes;
- lean oil - for frying;
- black pepper and salt to taste.
How to prepare a dish correctly:
- The prepared stems, cut into pieces, are spread in a pan with a small amount of vegetable oil.
- The potatoes are peeled and cut into strips and added to the shoots after 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, cover and fry the food until tender.
- So that during cooking the fern and potatoes are browned and not burnt, it is recommended to constantly stir the dish with a spatula.
Attention! Onion lovers can add this ingredient.
Recipe for cooking bracken fern with meat
Few people dislike meat dishes. Bracken fern can be cooked with meat as these products work well together. You can take beef or chicken, whoever likes what.
- 0.3 kg of bracken stalks;
- 0.3 kg beef tenderloin;
- 1 onion;
- 0.5 heads of garlic;
- 1 carrot;
- soy sauce, salt, pepper, sesame seeds - to taste;
- 1 teaspoon adjimoto seasoning.
- Cut the soaked stems into 3-4 cm pieces, add water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Throw in a colander to glass the liquid.
- Cut a piece of raw meat into strips and fry in vegetable oil.
- Add carrots, onions, continue frying until the meat is tender.
- Add bracken, stir. Pour over soy sauce, pepper and salt to taste.
- Add chopped garlic 5 minutes before removing the pan.
- The dish is served cold in a deep plate. Sprinkle sesame seeds fried with meat on top and sprinkle with ajinomoto seasoning.
How to fry bracken fern with sausage and cucumber
To cook bracken fern according to this recipe, you will need:
- fern stalks - 200 g;
- salt to taste;
- mayonnaise - 2 tbsp. l .;
- dill and parsley to taste;
- onions -1 pc .;
- cucumber - 1 pc.;
- vegetable oil - for frying;
- semi-smoked sausage - 100 g.
- Fry the stems in oil until tender, put cucumbers and sausage cut into strips. Slightly let down.
- Cut the onion into small cubes, fry until golden brown.
- Put the contents of the pan into a large dish, combine with the onion.
- Add mayonnaise, salt, mix. Use parsley and dill for decoration.
How to cook bracken fern in Korean
In Korea, the bracken has a special relationship. Bracken dishes can be cooked there on weekdays and holidays. The result is a tangy snack.
To cook bracken fern in Korean you will need:
- fern - 0.5 kg;
- vegetable oil - 100 g;
- soy sauce - 70 g;
- garlic - 4 cloves;
- paprika - 5 g;
- ground red pepper - 5 g;
- coriander (seeds) - 10 g.
- Soak fresh shoots for a day, then boil in salted water. Soak the salted bracken for 3 hours and also boil for 5 minutes.
- Cut the stems into 3-4 cm pieces, add the spices indicated in the recipe, mix.
- Wait until the dish is soaked and serve.
Advice! Condiments and spices should be added to a warm snack for better flavor and aroma.
Bracken Fern Salad Recipes
From the stems of fresh bracken fern, you can prepare various salads according to recipes. These are not just exotic dishes, they contain many useful substances. You can add to the shoots:
- various types of meat;
- onion and garlic;
- seasonings and spices.
These ingredients only enhance the beneficial qualities of the finished product.
Cooking salads is easy, the main thing is to properly prepare the stems.
Fresh shoots salads can be prepared for a limited time, in the spring.
- 0.5 kg of shoots;
- 1 medium carrot;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 100 g soy sauce;
- 5 g of red ground pepper;
- 60 g of vegetable oil.
How to cook:
- Soak fresh bracken shoots for 24 hours in salted water. The next day, rinse and boil for 10 minutes.
- Peel the onion, carrots, chop into strips.
- Combine with fern and fry until ingredients are tender.
- Pour the sauce, the garlic passed through a crusher, mix gently.
- Put on a wide dish, refrigerate for 2-3 hours so that everything is soaked.
Bracken Fern Salad with Chicken
- fern - 0.3 kg;
- poultry meat - 0.5 kg;
- chicken eggs - 2 pcs.;
- carrots - 1 pc.;
- turnip onions - 1 pc.;
- vegetable oil - for frying;
- soy sauce and salt to taste.
The photo shows the ingredients for a recipe for bracken fern with chicken.
Features of cooking step by step:
- Soak the fern overnight, rinse in the morning and boil for about 10 minutes. Cut the cooled shoots into pieces 5-10 cm long.
- Boil chicken meat.
- Pour eggs with cold water and cook until cool.
- Cut the carrots into long strips, and the onions into half rings.
- Pour oil into a frying pan, put vegetables and fry them until golden brown.
- Cut the cooled chicken fillet into pieces and transfer to vegetables. Continue to languish.
- Fry the sesame seeds in a separate skillet.
- Put bracken shoots, sesame seeds in a frying pan with vegetables and chicken, pour in soy sauce, simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove to plates, transfer salad to a wide dish, add coarsely chopped eggs and stir.
This concludes the preparation. The appetizer can be served warm or cold, depending on your taste.
Spicy fern salad
Chili pepper and other hot spices used by Koreans very well set off the taste of bracken. This salad is from the chefs of the east. In the salad, the bracken should be spicy and crispy thanks to the roasting.
Spicy dish composition:
- 350 g fresh shoots;
- 2 onions;
- 2 chili peppers;
- 60 g soy sauce;
- 50 g of vegetable oil;
- 70 ml boiling water.
How to cook:
- Soak the shoots for 8 hours, cut into slices.
- Peel the onion, cut into half rings, put in a pan and fry until golden brown over low heat.
- Chop the chili pepper together with the seeds and add to the onion, darken.
- Pour soy sauce and boiling water into the pan, transfer the bracken. Fry at high temperature, stirring for 7 minutes.
- Place in a large salad bowl, cool and serve.
Attention! You need to work with hot pepper with gloves so as not to burn your hands.
Fern salad with mushrooms
The benefits and taste of bracken salad will increase several times if you cook them with mushrooms. For the dish you will need:
- fresh bracken - 200 g;
- champignons - 180-200 g;
- garlic - 5 cloves;
- soy sauce - 40 ml;
- vegetable oil - 60 ml.
Features of cooking salad:
- Soak the shoots from the bitterness for 7-8 hours.
- Cut the stems into 4-5 cm pieces, put in a frying pan with butter, add garlic. Fry the ingredients.
- Fry the mushrooms in another pan (they can be prepared in advance, as they take longer than the fern to roast).
- Put bracken, mushrooms in a salad bowl, pour over the sauce. Mix the mixture gently.
- Serve warm or cold.
Preparing fresh bracken fern is not difficult at all, you just need to know some secrets of preparing the main ingredient. The herb goes well with many foods, so the recipes above are a tip. If you turn on your imagination, then you can create your own versions of snacks and fern soups.