The benefits of white currant for the human body are quite large, the berry helps to improve well-being and strengthen the immune system. To evaluate the properties of berries, you need to study their composition and find out exactly how white currants are used in various fields.
Composition of white currant berries
White currant fruits contain a huge amount of vitamins, organic acids and valuable minerals. In many respects, the white variety of currants even surpasses the red and black ones.
The composition contains:
- ascorbic acid, which has a powerful antimicrobial effect;
- vitamin P, which is important for maintaining healthy blood pressure;
- rutin - a substance that reduces vascular fragility and improves skin condition;
- tocopherol, which is responsible for good blood circulation and rapid rejuvenation of body cells;
- pectin - a substance that allows you to maintain normal bowel function;
- vitamin B4, which is necessary for the healthy functioning of the nervous system;
- folic acid, which protects against the development of oncology;
- oxycoumarins - substances that thin the blood and protect the heart from ailments.
Also, white currant contains fructose and other natural sugars, iron and potassium, phosphorus and sodium. Berries are rich in fiber, so eating them is good for speeding up digestion.
Useful properties of white currant
If you regularly consume white currants at least in the summer, the benefits for the body will be enormous. Delicious light berries:
- eliminate inflammation and infections due to the high content of vitamin C - white currant helps fight colds and viruses, accelerates the healing of injured tissues;
- improve the condition of the skin - when used, white currants stimulate the production of collagen, which means that it reduces the number of wrinkles, acne, acne and other skin defects;
- contribute to the rapid growth and strengthening of hair;
- improve the composition of the blood - the berries contain a lot of iron, which is responsible for the production of erythrocytes and the saturation of tissues with oxygen, when using white currant, blood clotting increases;
- promote weight loss - white currants help cleanse the body of toxic substances and accumulated toxins, normalize metabolic processes and help burn excess body fat;
- help to get rid of allergies - since white currants do not contain pigments, they themselves rarely cause a negative reaction, and with frequent use, they can have an antihistamine effect and alleviate allergies to other foods.
White currant is known for its anti-cancer properties. It contains a large amount of antioxidants, anthocyanins and other substances that inhibit the growth of malignant tumors. White currant reduces the likelihood of developing cancer, and therapy for an existing disease becomes more successful.
The benefits of white currant for women
White currants are especially beneficial for women. First of all, it is actively used for cosmetic purposes. On the basis of fresh fruits, scrubs and masks are prepared that significantly improve the condition of the skin and have a powerful anti-aging effect. Also, white currant is often present in diets, it allows you to lose extra pounds and maintain a normal balance of vitamins and minerals in the body.
White currant is of great benefit during pregnancy, it will help the expectant mother to avoid vitamin deficiency, and folic acid in the composition will be very useful for the fetus. Also, white currant protects a pregnant woman from colds and helps to get rid of edema.
Important! During the period of breastfeeding, white currants are allowed for consumption, but in small quantities. It does not cause allergies, however, organic acids and fiber in the composition can have a negative effect on the baby.
The benefits of white currant for men
For men, the fruits of the white currant also provide significant benefits. They help fight all kinds of infections and inflammations of the genitourinary system, protect against the development of prostatitis and adenoma. It is useful to eat the fruits in case of malfunctioning of the kidneys - currants serve as an effective natural diuretic.
Since white berries have a healing effect on the reproductive and urinary systems, male potency improves and normal libido returns. Also, eating white currant is useful for the prevention of vascular and heart ailments.
The benefits of white currant for children
White currants can be of great benefit to the child's body. First of all, it strengthens the child's immune system and serves as the prevention of viruses and colds. Also, berries protect the intestines from failures, help regulate stools, prevent the development of anemia and vitamin deficiency in the baby.
White currant is a unique berry that can be offered to babies under one year old. For the first time, currant fruits can be introduced into a children's diet from 7 months, since the white berry does not contain dyes, it almost never causes allergies.
Attention! Despite being hypoallergenic, white currant has some contraindications. Before offering it to a child for the first time, you should definitely consult a pediatrician.
What does white currant help with?
Useful properties and contraindications of white currant largely affect the field of health. It is recommended to use this juicy berry for some ailments, currant fruits can reduce the symptoms of diseases and contribute to recovery.
- Taking fruit drinks and white currant compotes is useful for colds, coughs and runny nose. After a little heat treatment, the fruits retain valuable vitamins and acids, which help relieve inflammation and strengthen the immune system.
- Fresh berries and marmalades or jams based on them are beneficial for anemia and anemia, as they improve blood composition and restore strength.
- It is useful to eat currants of white varieties for digestive ailments - berries accelerate metabolic processes and remove toxins from the body, and also prevent the development of inflammation of the mucous membranes.
- Eating white currants is useful for nervous disorders and endocrine system disruptions - berries have a beneficial effect on hormonal and emotional background, improve the quality of sleep and increase vigor.
- It is useful to take white currants with increased pressure, it has a positive effect on blood vessels and thins the blood, due to which the state of health is normalized.
- White currant is beneficial for liver diseases and high cholesterol, it can be eaten both for the prevention of ailments and as an addition to official treatment.
- White currant berries are useful for diseases of the heart system, as they normalize blood circulation and reduce the risk of heart attacks.
- You can eat the berry with diabetes - the glycemic index of the fruit is low. When eaten in moderation, currants can help regulate sugar levels and prevent severe complications.
Advice! Antioxidants in the composition of white currants are very useful for residents of large cities, the berry helps to cleanse the body and improve overall physical condition.
Application of white currant
White currants are widely used. It is used for the treatment of ailments and for the preparation of culinary dishes, for the care of the exterior. Not only fresh, but also frozen or processed fruits have valuable properties - when properly prepared and stored, white currants retain all the benefits.
In folk medicine
White currants are very common in home medicine recipes. Several products based on white berries are especially popular.
- Fortifying tea. For its preparation, young buds, leaves and thin twigs of white currant are poured with boiling water and insisted for several hours. The finished drink is optionally supplemented with a spoonful of honey and taken in 150 ml per day. Tea helps with reduced immunity, and also serves as a good diuretic and helps to remove small stones from the kidneys and bladder.
- Anti-inflammatory infusion. Young shoots and leaves of the plant are crushed, measure out 1 large spoonful of raw materials and pour a glass of boiling water, and then put in a water bath for 10 minutes. The ready-made infusion is cooled and filtered, and then rinse your mouth in case of inflammatory processes in the gums and throat.
- Decoction for constipation. About 5 large tablespoons of fresh or dried berries must be boiled for 10 minutes, and then insisted under the lid for a few more hours. They drink 100 ml of the product three times a day, currant broth helps to quickly get rid of constipation and, moreover, normalizes digestion in general with regular use.
Aromatic tincture with medicinal properties can be prepared from white currant. To do this, 500 g of fruits and 15 leaves of the plant must be thoroughly washed, poured into a large jar, covered with a glass of sugar on top, and then pour 500 ml of alcohol or vodka.
A tin with tincture is kept for 10 days in a dark and warm place, and then filtered and used for colds, decreased immunity and inflammatory ailments. You need to drink 50 ml a day for no longer than 14 days, then the tincture will be beneficial.
The benefits of white currant for the human body are also manifested in cooking. The easiest way is to make compote or fruit drink from berries, but these are far from the only options for using currant fruits.
For example, with the addition of white berries, you can make a light and healthy diet salad. Prepare it like this:
- 200 g of fresh turnips are washed, peeled and cut into strips;
- in a small bowl, the root vegetable is salted and mixed well;
- add 2 large tablespoons of sour cream and the same amount of lemon juice to the turnips;
- pour 80 g of currant berries into a bowl.
At the last stage, the salad is seasoned with a large spoonful of liquid honey, you can also add a couple of fresh mint leaves. You can eat the dish at any time of the day, such a salad will be of great benefit to the body and supply it with the most valuable vitamins.
A very popular dish is delicious and healthy jam. The simplest recipe for its preparation looks like this:
- for jam, a large enamel pan is selected and 1.5 kg of washed fresh berries without twigs are poured into it;
- from above, the raw materials are covered with the same amount of granulated sugar;
- the ingredients are mixed well and left for 4 hours, during which time the sugar will completely dissolve in the released juice.
After that, the pan is sent to the stove, the sweet syrup is waiting for the boil to boil and boil for exactly 5 minutes on low heat, stirring continuously. The finished jam retains the maximum amount of useful properties, thanks to the short thermal effect of the currant, it almost does not lose valuable acids and vitamins.
White currant is a valuable cosmetic product. Vitamins and organic acids in its composition have a beneficial effect on the condition of the skin, especially when using homemade masks.
If you are prone to acne and acne, you can use the following remedy:
- 2 large tablespoons of currant leaves are poured with a glass of boiling water;
- leave to insist for about 20 minutes;
- when the infusion becomes warm, gauze or thin cloth napkins are moistened in it and applied to the face for half an hour.
Another mask is good for whitening the skin and getting rid of freckles:
- half a glass of fresh white berries are kneaded and passed through cheesecloth to squeeze out the juice;
- after that, the juice is mixed with a similar amount of fat-free natural cottage cheese;
- if desired, add a little cream or milk to improve the consistency;
- spread the mask over the face for 20 minutes.
The skin becomes lighter and softer after 2-3 procedures, and it is recommended to make masks at least once a week.
White currant helps to eliminate the first shallow wrinkles well:
- a handful of fresh berries must be kneaded and squeezed out of pure juice;
- then the juice must be mixed with a similar amount of vegetable oil - olive or flaxseed;
- the mixture is applied to the face and neck with massaging movements and left for 20 minutes.
The mask not only smoothes the skin well, but also makes it more elastic and velvety.
To restore damaged skin, you can prepare a currant mask in combination with blue cosmetic clay. It is simple to make it - a handful of fruits are kneaded to a state of puree or mixed with clay powder until the desired consistency is obtained. Then the gruel is spread over the face for 20 minutes, after which it is gently washed off with warm water.
Advice! With dark bruises and bags under the eyes, white currant juice can be an effective remedy, you need to moisten small cotton swabs in it and put lotions under the eyes for 5 minutes.
Calorie content of berries
For all its benefits, white currant berries have a very low nutritional value. 100 g of fresh fruit contains only 42 kcal, which is less than black currant. Basically, the fruits consist of carbohydrates, they also contain a little protein, but there is no fat at all.
Contraindications to white currants
The benefits and harms of white currant are not the same for everyone. For all its great value, the product can harm the body. Contraindications for him are:
- individual intolerance to individual components in the composition - even hypoallergenic white currants can cause a negative reaction;
- stomach ulcer and acidic gastritis in the acute phase - organic acids in the composition will have an irritating effect on the mucous membranes;
- hemophilia - with poor blood clotting, the product can worsen the condition;
- hepatitis - eating the fruit is not recommended for severe liver damage;
- pancreatitis - with acute inflammation of the pancreas, the product will only harm.
Even in the absence of contraindications, berries should be consumed in moderation, preferably no more than 200 g per day. Overdose will lead to indigestion, nausea and diarrhea, as large amounts of organic acids will irritate the digestive tract.
The benefits of white currant for humans are very great, and the product has quite a few contraindications. You can use berries for treatment, beauty maintenance and for preparing delicious dishes - white currant fruits will be beneficial in all situations.