Barberry jam is a tasty and healthy product that will help out during the period of diseases and vitamin deficiencies. If you prepare the delicacy correctly, all the beneficial properties of the berry can be preserved. And she has a lot of them. Barberry is rich in useful vitamins and microelements, but it is better known to the domestic consumer for the taste of the caramel of the same name.
Useful properties of barberry jam
Barberry berries are harvested for the winter in different ways: they are dried, pickled, and jam is made. The last way to preserve vitamins is the tastiest. If you make live jam without boiling, you can preserve all the beneficial properties of the oriental berry.
And there are a lot of these substances in it:
- Apple acid;
- wine acid;
- lemon acid;
- vitamin C;
- vitamin K;
- mineral salts;
Pectins remove all toxic substances and salts of heavy metals from the body, normalize metabolism and intestinal motility, preserve its microflora.
Berberine is a natural alkoloid substance that has a positive effect on the heart muscle and the hematopoietic system, enhances bile secretion, and accelerates metabolism. The substance promotes weight loss by activating metabolic processes.
The rich composition of barberry is a natural vitamin complex. It is good to use these berries in the form of jam during the period of vitamin deficiency.
Fruits with an anti-inflammatory effect have a characteristic sour taste. With the help of barberry, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract are treated. The benefits of barberry jam are obvious.
Important! If you cook jam, only vitamin C will break down, all other vitamins and minerals will remain.
To preserve vitamin C, jam is prepared without boiling.
How to make barberry jam
To make jam without boiling, ripe and large autumn fruits are chosen. For prolonged heat treatment, slightly unripe berries are chosen. They will not disintegrate when cooked. They are washed thoroughly and left to dry. If the recipe requires it, the seeds are removed from the fruit.
At this time, the rest of the ingredients and dishes are prepared. If jam is prepared with the addition of other fruits, for example, apples, they are also washed, peeled, cut into small pieces.
For twists for the winter, you need to prepare cans. They are thoroughly washed with soda, rinsed, turned over and allowed to drain. It is necessary to sterilize the container immediately before rolling the jam.
The dried barberry is covered with sugar in a ratio of 1: 1 and allowed to brew for several hours so that the berry starts up the juice. After the pan is put on the fire and the barberry jam is started. There are several recipes for its preparation, so it is worth talking about each in detail.
Barberry jam recipes
In each recipe, the main ingredients are barberry and sugar. They only change their ratio by adding other additional ingredients.
Classic barberry jam with seeds
In this recipe, only the preparation is lengthy. And the delicacy itself is prepared quickly and easily. But it's worth the trouble, the taste of the finished product is excellent.
To make jam according to this recipe, take 1.5 kg of sugar and barberry.
- The berries are covered with 2 glasses of sugar and left in the kitchen for a day so that they give juice.
- As soon as a sufficient amount of liquid is released, it is drained.
- Syrup is prepared: 1 kg of sugar is dissolved in the resulting fruit juice, boiled over medium heat until boiling. The berries are poured in a hot mass and left to soak for 3 hours.
- The sweet mixture is put on high heat and brought to a boil. The saucepan should be covered with a lid so that the liquid does not evaporate and the berry mass does not burn.
- After boiling, reduce the heat, add 2 more cups of sugar and cook the mixture for 15 minutes. In the process of cooking, it is necessary to remove the foam and stir the mixture.
- After that, the finished product is laid out in prepared, sterilized jars and rolled up with lids.
According to the classic recipe, the barberry jam turns out to be jelly-like and thick. It has a beautiful color and pleasant aroma. It is the easiest to make, so you can prepare an impressive supply of healthy berry delicacies for the winter.
Apple jam with barberry
For the preparation of this jam, apples of sour or sweet and sour varieties are chosen. They are better combined with the taste of barberry berries.
For this jam, you need to take the ingredients:
- apples and barberry - 2 cups each;
- sugar and water - 1.5 cups each.
Preparation will take a lot of time, since the seeds from the fruit of the barberry must be removed. Peel and seed apples, cut into thin slices.
And making such a jam is simple:
- Combine apples with barberry in a saucepan.
- Dissolve the sugar in water and pour the syrup over the fruit and berry mixture.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and simmer.
Important! You can determine the readiness of the jam by its thickness.
It is necessary to take a small amount with a spoon and drip it onto a saucer. If the sweet drop does not flow, the product is ready.
Barberry jam without cooking
Such a delicacy can be prepared only from sugar with barberry, or you can add lemon. Vitamin jam without cooking retains a maximum of nutrients. It is important that vitamin C will not evaporate and will saturate barberry jam with its beneficial properties.
For the recipe, take barberry and sugar in a 1: 2 ratio.
- Rinse the fruits thoroughly, remove the seeds.
- Pass them through a meat grinder along with sugar.
- Stir the mixture well. The sugar should be completely dissolved.
The jam is poured into clean jars and covered with ordinary nylon lids. Store it only in the refrigerator.
They also prepare barberry jam with lemon according to recipes without cooking.
To do this, take the necessary ingredients:
- barberry fruits - 0.5 kg;
- lemon - 2 pcs.;
- sugar - 1.5 kg.
The berries are washed, dried, and pitted. Peel the lemon, cut off the tails, cut into slices. If desired, you can also remove the skin so that the jam does not taste bitter. But with the zest, the delicacy will turn out to be more aromatic.
Next, the jam is prepared like this:
- Berries and lemon are passed through a meat grinder.
- All the sugar is added to this mixture.
- All ingredients are thoroughly mixed until the sugar dissolves.
The finished product is placed in a jar and sent to the refrigerator for storage.
Important! Jam with lemon without heat treatment retains all the vitamins and trace elements of the fruit. There is a lot of vitamin C in it.
Thick barberry jam
Such a delicacy is prepared for 2 days, but it can be stored for a long time even without a refrigerator.
To make thick jam according to this recipe, take the following ingredients:
- barberry fruits - 500 g;
- granulated sugar - 750 g;
- purified water - 250 ml.
How to cook:
- Prepared washed barberry is placed in a saucepan, water is added and the mixture is brought to a boil.
- After adding the norm of sugar, cook over low heat for another 2 minutes.
- As soon as the mixture boils, it is set aside and allowed to thicken for a day.
- The next day, the product is boiled again until it boils, set aside. Allow to cool slightly and then cook for another 2 minutes.
The ready-made thick berry delicacy is laid out in jars and rolled up.
Vanilla Barberry Jam Recipe
Such a delicacy is distinguished not only by its pleasant taste, but also by its aroma.
To prepare vanilla barberry jam, take the ingredients:
- barberry berries - 250 g;
- purified water - 150 g;
- granulated sugar - 375 g;
- vanillin is an incomplete teaspoon.
Syrup is prepared from water and sugar. Pour it with barberry and infuse the mixture for a day at room temperature.
The next day, jam is prepared like this:
- The mixture is put on low heat, brought to a boil and simmered for half an hour.
- The jam is set aside, allowed to cool, then boiled again for half an hour with the addition of vanilla.
- The finished product is poured into a jar and rolled up.
If necessary, all ingredients are increased proportionally.
Terms and conditions of storage
To preserve the benefits of barberry jam according to these recipes and not harm your health, you must store the product correctly. Jars with twists are kept in a pantry or cellar. Such a delicacy retains its qualities for a long time - from 1 to 2 years. If the cans and lids were sterilized according to all the rules, then there is no need to worry about the safety of the contents.
Grated barberry jam is stored only in the refrigerator. It is advisable to eat it during the winter, since such a product should not be stored for more than 3 months. A gray crust may form on the surface of the jam. It is carefully removed with a spoon, after which the jam can be safely eaten. The jam can also become sugar-coated and hard. This is not dangerous. The product is still healthy and can be eaten.
Barberry jam is a healthy, natural product that will become a good alternative to expensive vitamin complexes. The only contraindication is the intolerance to barberry fruits. For people who do not suffer from allergies, a vitamin treat will only benefit. It is good to introduce foods with a scarlet berry into the diet in winter and spring, when the body is in dire need of additional nutrition and protection.