The popularity of the new Labadia variety is assured based on its characteristics. A fast development period, large, beautiful roots, immunity to a number of dangerous diseases make the variety in demand.
The Labadia variety was bred in the Netherlands; it has been included in the Gosreistr since 2010. Originator: Stet Holland B.V. Labadia potatoes are recommended for cultivation in the central, Ural, Volga and southern regions of Russia.
Description and characteristics
Before ripening 75 days, technical ripeness phase after 105-115 days
The stems are tall, the bush is vigorous, straight or semi-spreading. The leaves are large, with slight waviness. Corollas are medium or large, white
Oval, oblong; eyes are small / medium deep
Smooth / slightly rough, thin, yellow
Light yellow, with a dense structure
Dry matter content
Number in the nest
290-460 c / ha, maximum - 583 c / ha
Rest period during storage
Features of vegetation
Drought resistance, adaptation of the variety to different types of soils
Immunity to potato cancer and wrinkled mosaic, golden nematode infection. The cultivar is moderately susceptible to leaf roll virus, banded mosaic and late blight.
Medium-early table variety Labadia tastes good; after cooking it retains a pleasant creamy yellow hue. Labadia is used for baking, frying, French fries, chips, as it belongs to the European classification of table varieties to group "B" - low-mealy, universal direction. When cooked in water, the potatoes boil a little.
Attention! Labadia table potatoes need enough fertilizer for a rich harvest. At the same time, the proportion of nitrogen preparations for vigorous plants is reduced.
Advantages and disadvantages
Excellent commercial properties: large, one-dimensional tubers, light, slightly rough texture of the peel; keeping quality and transportability
Tubers planted without light shoots sprout slowly. Mandatory germination period
Can't be planted early in cold ground
High stable yield
Tendency to external mechanical damage, but the dense structure remains flawless
Drought tolerant. Adapts to different soils
The variety is resistant to dangerous potato diseases
Growing Labadia potatoes will yield a stable harvest from all types of soil. In terms of acidity, a soil with a pH of 5.1-6.0 is better suited. Without a laboratory, you can roughly determine the acidity of a plot for potatoes. If there are chamomile, clover, dandelion, wheatgrass, coltsfoot, potatoes will also bear fruit well. In autumn, the soil is enriched with manure, bird droppings or superphosphate, potash mixtures, ammonium sulfate.
In the southern regions, the Labadia variety can be grown 2 times per season, if you follow the correct agricultural techniques.
- Germination in the light for 20-30 days. Without germs, the seed awakens for a long time.
- Before planting, it is advisable to treat potatoes with growth stimulants.
- Labadia potatoes are placed according to the scheme 70 x 35 cm.
- They are planted in the ground that has warmed up to + 8 ° C at a planting depth of 8-10 cm. If the recommendations are followed, the seedlings are uniform and friendly.
For all the unpretentiousness of the Labadia variety, it must be carefully looked after.
- The area with potatoes is regularly loosened, providing the root system with sufficient air access, weeds are removed;
- In the rains, watered only before the flowering phase, then the culture especially needs moisture;
- In dry conditions, watering is important when the stems rise to a height of 6 cm, then before and after flowering;
- Up to 50 liters of water are consumed per square meter to moisten the layer of earth where the tubers develop.
Hilling and feeding
Vigorous bushes of Labadia potatoes are spud high so that the large tubers that form do not turn green under the sun. The first hilling is carried out at a stem height of 12-15 cm. The next one - after 2-3 weeks. The last time they spud before flowering.
Potato variety Labadia must be fed even on fertile soil.
- Fertilize potatoes when the plants reach a height of 15 cm: dissolve 5 g of urea in 10 liters of water and pour 0.5 liters under the bush.
- Insist on manure or chicken droppings: 500 g per 10 liters of water. Then the infusion is diluted 1:10 and watered between rows.
- Before flowering, 200 g of wood ash or 20 g of potassium sulfate are dissolved in 10 liters of water. Water under each bush for 0.5 liters.
- During flowering, to activate the formation of tubers of the Labadia variety, potatoes are fed with a solution of 20 g of superphosphate in 10 l of water. You can also add a solution of mullein or bird droppings. Consumption - 0.5 liters at the root.
Warning! Fertilize potatoes after abundant watering.
Diseases and pests
Diseases / pests
Dark spots are formed on the stems and leaves, later a gray bloom. In rainy weather and temperatures below + 15 ° C, the fungus spreads over the entire area in 10 days
Preventively, Labadia potatoes are treated with the fungicides Baktofit, Arcerid, Quadris and others. Healthy tubers are selected for planting
Only tubers are affected. Brown or black cracks with rough edges form on the peel. The fungus develops at high temperatures. Starchiness is significantly reduced
The fungus remains in the soil for more than 3 years. Planting potatoes are treated with Fito Plus. They also spray potato bushes during the growing season.
Brown bacterial rot of potatoes
When the plant blooms, the tops begin to wither, the leaves turn yellow, the veins at the bottom of the stem are affected by rot. Tubers rot during storage
Potatoes cannot be planted on the affected area for 5 years. The planting tubers are warmed up for germination, and then sorted out, removing the affected ones. Sprayed with Baktofit before planting and twice before flowering
Butterflies, similar to a clothes moth, flutter over the bushes, if they are moved. The plant and tubers suffer from small larvae - 1-1.3 cm.With a large infection, the moth can have time to lay eggs in the tubers that are closer to the surface
Insecticides. High hilling is carried out, which is required by the technology for the Labadia variety
7-10 days before harvesting the potatoes, green or yellowed stems are mowed, the tubers are covered with a dense skin. The dug out potatoes are ventilated and dried in dark rooms. Tubers are laid for storage without damage.
Important! Do not leave dug potatoes in the garden for a long time if potato moths are noticed.
The mid-early table variety has a bountiful harvest and large tubers, suitable for growing on private farms and for the large agricultural sector. The resistance of the variety to pathogens of viral diseases and golden nematode, unpretentiousness to soils will serve to popularize, as well as versatility in application.
Olga, 38 years old, Togliatti
Last year, at the dacha, they planted 5 kg of the Labadia variety. Processed only for Colorado potato beetles. We always fertilize the plot in autumn, we import manure every 3-4 years. We dug out beautiful, even potatoes.
Victor, 47 years old, Yelets
I buy elite seeds for my 6 acres. I liked the Labadia variety - 6-7 large tubers each. Used for their own needs. The taste is wonderful.
Alexey, 45 years old, Oryol region
I have been planting the Labadia variety for the second year. A productive and tasty variety. Diseases are not amenable to. It goes very well on the market because of its appearance.