When snow still lies in Moscow, blooming almonds can be seen in Crimea. The plant is valued not only for its external beauty, but also for tasty and healthy fruits. But before planting, it is worth noting one feature of the plant - it is heat-loving, it is definitely worth considering.
Almonds - deciduous shrubs or small trees with pink or white flowers, rounded drupe. The plant is undemanding, tolerates urban conditions. Almonds grow fast enough.
Features of planting a decorative pink almond tree
There are two ways of planting - seedlings or seeds. Growing with seedlings is much easier.
If you still decide to plant seeds, it is better to do this in the spring. When planted in the fall, the bones will simply be eaten by rodents.
Planting seedlings also implies a number of features:
- it is better to plant 2-3 plants, otherwise the almonds will not bear fruit - pollination is necessary
- dig holes 30 cm deep.
- distance between landings - 3 meters
- almonds love sunny places protected from the wind
- watering occurs as the soil dries
- It is recommended to place supports near each seedling
Before planting, sand and gravel can be added to the bottom of the pit; lime is added to the soil. So flowering almonds will feel much better.
Proper plant care at low temperatures in Siberia
- Immediately after planting in spring, the plant must be shortened. Its height should be approximately 120 cm. At the same time, 40 cm is allocated to the crown. The branches are cut so that a ring is obtained.
- For 4 years, a crown should be formed in the form of a bowl. Pruning is thinning out the branches.
- The soil needs to be loosened and watered.
- It is important to make fertilizers on time: in the fall - organic (bird droppings, manure, compost), potassium and phosphoric salts, until June - fertilizers with nitrogen content.
Planting perennial almond shrubs
Since almonds are flowering plants, they are susceptible to attack by aphids. Insects damage the leaves and inhibit the development of the kidneys. Also, aphids secrete a special sticky substance that attracts ants. Biological enemies are ladybugs. Pest control is possible with pesticides.
Caterpillars may appear during flowering. They will try to leave the tree without foliage. You can deal with leaf beetles using insecticidal soap or oil.
The harm and benefits of almonds
The beneficial properties of almond nuts are recognized worldwide. But it is worth noting that it is necessary to use the product in moderation. The benefits and harms depend mainly on the form in which you eat almonds. A roasted nut will not be of any use. Useful substances are found only in the raw product.
- a positive effect on hair, skin and nails due to the content of vitamins B and E;
- milk and almond oil soften the skin;
- nuts cleanse the blood, calm the nerves;
- remove bile, enhance potency;
- high in fat and protein;
- rich chemical composition;
- It is proven that the product stimulates the brain. In view of this, you should definitely include it in your diet if you are engaged in mental work.
- do not eat unripe almonds. They contain hydrocyanic acid;
- excessive use of the product also negatively affects the body, dizziness may appear;
- almonds can trigger an allergic reaction;
- if you are prone to weight gain, do not consume a large amount of sweet and fatty nuts - they have a lot of calories;
- the use of almonds in large volumes and to people with heart diseases is contraindicated;
- the fruits are difficult to digest, so people with weakened intestines should not get involved in them.
Terry bush decorative (photo)
Ornamental almond is a thermophilic plant, but it can withstand frosts and climate, for example, of the Leningrad region.
Mainly for gardens use such types of almonds as:
Deciduous almonds are usually planted in hedges - high or low. Great work in order to grow a shrub is not required, but have to be patient.
Almonds are also used in landscape compositions with medium-tall red-leaved species.